Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A place to call my new writing space?

     Looking into all of the different possible “writing spaces” available on the internet was quite overwhelming.

I never realized there were so many different sites available to use as a “writing space” with “writing tools” available within each one.

 There were so many different writing spaces that I discovered and had never even heard of before. By checking them out, I still could not make sense of them or figure out how they worked.

I looked into sites like Twitter, Fail Blog, Ning, and Formspring.me to seriously consider trying out and using as my new “writing space” but none of them really struck my fancy.

In all honesty I was quite overwhelmed by the challenge given in my English 105 class to find a new “writing tool or space” to use. However, I was also excited to use a new form of writing technology.

From our discussion in class, I resolved that, every site on the internet that allows people to post their thoughts through blogs, posts, status updates, emails, and profiles can be considered a writing space that comes with writing tools. However, after researching different sites, the site I chose to stick with is Linkedin. This site intrigued me because it is not at all like a “writing space” it is more of a social network with writing tools.

Linkedin is a business-oriented social networking site. Like Careerbuilder, it can be used to help people find jobs after college, or change careers, or to find resources necessary for current work projects. Linkedin allows its users to view their direct connections and the connections of those they are connected with to broaden employment horizons. Professional connections become visible so that employees can ask the right questions and make the right decisions when it comes to advice in finding new contacts, funding, knowledge, and new opportunities.

There is not really anything about this site that I would call a “writing space” other than its ability to connect to other accounts on social networks and attach files that can be read by prospective employers.

The majority of this site is a writing tool. It creates opportunities to write to prospective employers and fellow employees through its system of connecting the right people together. There is a space for status updates as well as a community discussion board to share questions and get answers but the purpose of the website is not to give users a space to write down their thoughts but to connect people together so they can write one another; it’s a tool that leads people into other “writing spaces.”

I still have not fully figured out how to use Linkedin and I am quite content with the "writing spaces" I already use like facebook and myspace but the more I play around with all of these different portals of communication the more intrigued I become with how crazy it is that technology has advanced as far as it has.


3 comments:

  1. Tiffany ~

    If you liked the ability to create polls and questionaries that Formspring.me offers, you can dig around in the layout section of the Blogger dashbaord and find a way to put up polls here in the side bar of your blog.

    Linkedin is a very "serious" choices -- your audience analysis should be very revealing.

    Have fun with this!

    ~ Cathy

    p.s. I like how you told readers what you considered first -- not everyone did that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linkedin sounds pretty interesting for finding a new job through networking. I think a lot of people are connected through this site, and it will be very useful to everyone of us after finishing our studies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linkedin seems to be a pretty good job networking website, especially with today's economy and busy people. I would definitely classify Linkedin as a writing tool since it is career-oriented. As for other writing spaces like Facebook, it occurred to me the other day why I find it to solely be a writing tool... I deactivated my account several months ago to see how much it would matter if I no longer kept in touch with the friends I had on there. What I found is that I truly used it as a tool to keep in touch rather than a space to hurl my thoughts. The one thing I really miss is competing with friends in BEDAZZLED! I LOVE THAT GAME!

    ReplyDelete